Sunday, June 04, 2006

 

Long live GRelay

Last winter I tried to prepare packages for the first public MyNC distribution. I soon realized that privately-patched OmniORB was a killing dependency: it builds enormously long, it is uncertain how to distribute IDL's properly, and I've failed to write Makfile.am that I would be satisfied with. CORBA took its evil hands too deep into my code and turned simple things into complicated beasts. So I've decided to throw CORBA away from MyNC and replace it with something home-grown. The new middleware is called GRelay, it's simple, features straightforward design, textual protocol (direct GRelay shell scripting? - yes) and lacks any kind of IDL and IDL compiler. MyNC porting to GRelay is not finished yet but I've already tested GRelay in a file-server called "filewar" written as a student hometask. It's a bit boring to write client and server stubs for GRelay objects manually but overall simplicity worths it and MyNC interfaces are quite compact anyway.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?